Sunday, November 19, 2006

HOW ABOUT HIM? IS HE COOL?

This Wednesday sees NME publish their, quite frankly, horrible 'Cool List'. The Cool List is an excuse for NME hacks to name all the new artists before anyone else to prove they are so on the pulse, even though half of the peole they name will either be forgotten or hated by them a year later. It serves no purpose and doesn't mean they'll sell anymore records. If anything, more kids will dress like said cool people and then they'll become out of fashion even more quickly.

I can't guess who will top the list this year, but I can have a go at who will be high up the list, just by seeing the bands who always appear in NME but don't sell any records:

Kate Jackson from The Long Blondes - A band who've been at it for 4 years but had to wait for the new Britpop phase to come back again.
Faris Tosser from The Horrors - Poor.
Jarvis Cocker - Proof that if you wait long enough, people will forget your shit albums.
Noel Gallagher - He's got a Best Of out but, I quite like him, and
Albert Hammond Jr.
Pete Doherty - but he won't be number one as NME have to stop glamourising his drug use.
Lovefoxxx from CSS - She might actually be number one, if only NME had written an article on them before the Guardian did.

When I thought about this before, I had a lot more bad bands in my mind. I feel as though I've let meyself down a bit. We'll see how I get on.

I suppose after slagging a few people off, I should put my neck out and say who I think is cool. It's very subjective, but I won't apologise. So in no order:

1. Gerard Way (see last post)
2. Ryan Adams - He may be a shit half the time, but the other half makes up for that.
3. Billie Joe Armstrong - The new king of reinvention.
4. Paul McCartney circa 1966 - Turning up to record Sgt Pepper sporting the roll neck and moustache.
5. John Frusciante - Time to join the Mars Volta full time though. Leading to
6. Cedric Bixler Zavala - Great hair, even greater wailing.
7. Albert Hammond Jr - Just pipping Casablancas to coolest Stroke.
8. Cat Power (or Chan Marshall as she is) - Depression rules.
9. Chino Moreno - Even more so now get doesn't care and got fat.
10. Eddie Vedder - Integrity is the highest form of cool.

Sorry there's only one woman in there.

Anyway, we'll see how many of mine make the cut according to NME.

Oh and Jemina Pearl from Be Your Own Pet. She's great.

No comments: