Tuesday, December 09, 2008

DAPHNE


What do you do when the shirt you had lined up for your big night out suddenly has light red stripes on it? 

Or is a more prescient question, what is a grown man doing planning his wardrobe two days in advance?

I don't have many clothes, not in my view, and I go through phases of trends. Sometimes I need to adapt my combinations to suit a certain look, and sometimes I keep it classic. When I started to approach 30 I wanted to find a look I could take into later life. No more baggy jeans, fewer trainers, more shirts. I'd love to be the man who always wears a jacket and tie, like the old man you see. Whatever the weather, jacket and tie. When Nick Cave was in his tie phase (pre-dyed tache) he was asked what he would do to his look if he wanted to wind down, or if he was doing the dishes. He replied - I undo my top button, loosen my tie and maybe roll up my sleeves.

So now the shirt is not going to be worn. Maybe it's ruined. Can I wear a white shirt, or do I need a light stripe or check for what I'm intending? So many questions. 4/5 years ago it would have been the denim get up, 3 years ago a t-shirt and coat, but now I think not. If I am to take this into later life it needs to be more refined. Brogues. A hat?

But let's be fair, we all know my look depends on one person. I try and be original, but I'm just copying.

Underrated song. I'm always hoping an X Factor will do it. Actually I was describing it to a friend and I thought Kevin had left by then. Not so. If his name is Kevin.



Buy. Listen. Love.
A 'Gwai High.

No comments: