Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I BRUSHED THE LEAVES OFF OF MY SNOUT

19. Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Sink Ships

The Cardinals are a strange bunch, not least because their leader is David Ryan Adams. Since forming the Cardinals they've made 4 albums together but had 8 different members. The one you see above is from Easy Tiger but the lineup has remained for Cardinology. The strange thing about them is that live show is incendiary. Wailing guitar wigouts, jams bridge one song to the next and the harmonies between Adams and Casal are spine tingling. On record, however, it's all a bit light. But the songs are good because they transfer to the live stage so well. I think it may be to do with the fact that there are no acoustic guitars live with them. Anyway, the one song on Cardinology that shows some blood is Sink Ships. Yes, Magick is the balls to the wall rocker but there's something about Sink Ships that makes you go wow. I think it's the part when he almost wails 'the war is over'. That middle eight part makes the song. And it's a classic Adams heartbreaker - "this position is not open to applicants." God, I could write all day about Ryan Adams.


Listen to the studio version below (woohoo I got embedding to work)



18. Blitzen Trapper - Furr


I know nothing about Blitzen Trapper. I saw that a lot of people were posting things about them on their blogs (whoever they are) and I didn't read any of them. I saw the album cover and the way the name was written I thought they were a metal band. See what I mean. Then I listened to the song Furr and was blown away. A fantastic little woodland folk ditty about becoming some sort of wolfman for 6 years. Apparently Fleet Foxes are a bit like this too but I wasn't that taken with them. 

There's some impressive beards on show and the man on the right seems to be playing the lectern.

Download the studio version here (right click save as etc) Free music.




No comments: