Sunday, December 21, 2008

HOW DID WE GET HERE?

9. Slipknot - Psychosocial


Ever since Slipknot went mainstream, or in other words started singing, I love them. I quite like them before, Left Behind, Spit It Out etc but it was Vol. III Subliminal Verses which got me. Almost a perfect metal album, and the best of its ilk since Vulgar Display Of Power. All Hope Is Gone is good, but not a patch on Vol. III. The singing songs are perhaps a little too melodic, more akin to the sound of Stone Sour (who for some reason I do not like) that to the Slipknot sound. Psychosocial was the first single from All Hope Is Gone and is great. It has shouty verses and a melodic chorus and a riff to tear your face off. And with all new masks. It also reminds me of a drive to West Wales where Adrian and I knew no words at the start and by the end knew a lot of words, and were bellowing out the chorus. Of course it's all pantomime but what's the harm in that?




8. Paramore - Decode


I can almost describe Paramore as a guilty pleasure, but I refuse to. Riot! was my joint album of the year last year and I still listen to it. So maybe I like Decode, from emo vampire film Twilight, so much is because it's the only new thing I've got from this year. I like it because it sounds a bit like the live version of Let The Flames Begin which has a great ending. I also like the line  'But you think that I can't see what kind a man that you are if you're a man at all'. Hayley gets feisty! Or she's just talking about vampires and werewolves.

The Decode video seems to be not allowed on YouTube. So just have the song.



Also watch Decode from Jimmy Kimmel.

And this amazing live version of Let The Flames Begin.

No comments: