Saturday, December 27, 2008

HOW CAN I BE LOST IF I'VE GOT NOWHERE TO GO?

3. Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Possess Your Heart


What did I say before about long songs? I can't remember but I like them. This eight and a half minuter builds slowly for 5 minutes before the song starts (perfect for a radio edit). It almost hits a crescendo before everything drop back for the vocals. Again, I listened to this for a long time when I first got it. The live show didn't disappoint too, so much more rocking than I expected. A word on the lyrics. This is not a warm song. It does not mean that if you hang out with someone they'll like you. It's a stalker song. It's a song about someone so deluded that they think that the more they persist the more someone will like them. If you think it's a stalker song then you are said stalker. Maybe. Sort of. Anyway, if someone doesn't like you then they probably won't see the potential if they spend some time with you.




Watch it live on Dave.

2. Metallica - The Unforgiven III


Metallica came back this year and they needed to. Let's face it, St. Anger wasn't good. It was far too long and had no real melody. It was billed as this smash in the face of hardcore aggression but every part in each song was repeated 2 or 3 times. I actually edited St. Anger down to a concise 45 minutes and I think it sounds a lot better. 

But enough of St. Anger and more of Death Magnetic. We won't speak of levels and mixing, but I was a little disappointed by the Day That Never Comes. After a few listens however I grew to love it. The solos, the building riffs and the twin guitar attack. Death Magnetic is what a Metallica album  should be like (and I do like Load).  I was always going to be drawn to The Unforgiven III, as I liked The Unforgiven and The Unforgiven II, so how could I not like The Unforgiven III. It has a Morricone feel and a fantastic part when the vocals merge with the solo. I also like that in The Unforgiven, Hetfield dubs someone unforgiven, in The Unforgiven II he says that someone is unforgiven too, but in The Unforgiven III it's him who he can't forgive, making him the unforgiven. The only thing we need now is them to play the Unforgiven trilogy live as a fantastic encore, but I doubt that will happen.


No comments: