Friday, December 19, 2008

DID YOU HEAR THE OLD GOSPEL CHOIR?

13. Wintersleep - Archaeologists

I first heard this song back in April. James had made me a massive 2 'disc' compilation and I spent a train ride up to Chesterfield to Iain's wedding devouring it. It was all good, as with most music James gives me, but then one song jumped out and I had to listen to it again. I thought not much of it until about October when this song came through the post. I've heard it before. Then I got the album. Then I saw them live. Good god. Amazing, wonderful, incredible. The drummer is just incredible and the codas take you somewhere else. This, Archaeologists, is one of their more poppy numbers, although not as much as Weighty Ghost (see below) but as it was the first song of theirs I heard, it makes the list.



Watch the video for Weighty Ghost if you need some more.

12. The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound


Another band who came to my attention this year. When I was first given the CD I thought they were a ska-punk band, I'm not sure why. I played it, tentatively, but what I heard was this punked up New Jersey sound. Straight up rock, but with an edge. I especially like the album because it references Counting Crows in one song. But The '59 Sound, the song, invokes Springsteen if was brought up on hardcore and punk rather than soul. I can't tell you what this song is about (probably death) but the lyrics have some good imagery - grandfather's radio, hospital wards, your favourite song. For a few weeks this year, this was my favourite song. Download courtesy of Spin



There a video for Old White Lincoln now as well.

No comments: