Monday, December 22, 2008

I CAN'T RELATE TO THE NEVER ENDING GAMES THAT YOU PLAY

7. Coldplay - Lovers In Japan


Reasons I love Coldplay:
1. They are unashamedly massive
2. They went with the French Revolutionary outfits for this album
3. I'm too old to care about being cool anymore
4. The songs are great

When I first heard Viva La Vida, the album, I was asked what it sounded like by my sister. I said, 'you'd like it, it sounds like Peter Gabriel.' I think that Lovers In Japan is the most Gabrielsque song on the album. I also love 42, Violet Hill and Lost! but Lovers In Japan has that fantastic uplifting feel that you need from stadium bands. Live, the album is amazing and Lovers is a high point of the set with butterfly shaped confetti falling from the rafters, and a great montage on the big screen behind.



6. The Last Shadow Puppets - Standing Next To Me


This is almost an anomaly for me to have this Last Shadow Puppets song here because I played The Age Of The Understatement, the song, to within an inch of its life. Or I should say the video. The video blew me away. They always said that they'd be dressed up like Scott Walker in polo necks and chelsea boots and then you saw them standing by the tank singing in unison. But I suppose it was the video to Standing Next To Me, directed by the IT Crowd and Garth Marenghi's Richard Ayoade that makes this song. Miles Kane is wearing the polo neck and Alex Turner is decked in Beatles suit. One plays guitar, the other tambourine, some dancing girls appear and then the boys return in Wayfarers. The harmonies are great and the song is wonderful. Better than the Monkeys. Maybe.



And while we're at it, here's my favourite clip from Man To Man with Dean Learner.

No comments: